From The Volunteer State to The UK

District 6760 of the Rotary Club selected a team of four young professionals from Tennessee, accompanied by a team leader, to go on an international vocational exchange to Rotary Club District 1270 in England. The team will explore professions related to their own while gaining a broader understanding of British culture, history, and society. Follow the team as they prepare for, travel to, and adventure in England.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Miller Time!?

MGD ya'll. The first beer offered to me in England by my host family? Miller Genuine Draft. I flew 4500 miles to have the Champaign of Beer. All is well though. The entire group met at Royal Oak Inn this afternoon, a true English pub that has been around since the 1700's. Here I was able to sample a traditional English beer, Black Sheep. This beer is pumped out of the keg and is "alive". The yeast has not been killed off prior to being added. Wonderful taste. Black Sheep Brewery was born out of defiance, as you can imagine. A successful family had owned and operated a brewery for decades when they decided it was time to sell. All but one brother voted for the sale. So, upon the sale of his family brewery, he set up shop directly across the street and has been doing well since. I didn't get the year of these events however.

My host family has been great. Goeff and his wife Chris are both from Gimsby. Goeff went the long way to Royal Oak Inn and gave me a history lesson I won't forget. He showed me the old air field famous for housing the bombers that destroyed the damns in Germany during WWII. The food has been surprisingly good. Chris made her famous fish pie for my first dinner (think a mix between chicken-pot-pie and shepherds pie). We ended today by watching the Manchester United vs. Chelsea football match for the Premier League title. Fitting I thought.

JL

2 comments:

  1. Hello Jason,

    It was a pleasure to meet you and I hope that you enjoyed this evening's meeting at my Rotary Club.

    Please direct Justin to this website : http://hillholtwood.com/ . It describes the eco efficient project near Lincoln which I mentioned to him.

    Kind regards
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be interested in Team's page within the Rotary District 6760 web site:

    http://www.clubrunner.ca/dprg/dxprogramhome/_programhome.aspx?did=6760&pageid=61035

    ReplyDelete